The brake pads on your vehicle do wear out over time and need to be replaced. Most modern models use disc-type brakes on all four wheels that include wear sensors. On other models, including older vehicles, you could have drum-type brakes on the rear wheels, which do not have wear sensors.
Fortunately, there are several signs you can watch for that will let you know when you need brake repair service .
- The car pulls to the left or right when you press on the brakes. This indicates the pads should be inspected because something is wrong.
- You have to push the brake pedal down farther than normal to get the car to stop. When pads are near the end of their usefulness, they are thin, so they will affect how far you have to push on the brake pedal.
- The brake pedal vibrates or shakes when you step on it. This means something is wrong with the pads, and they need to be checked.
- You notice you have squeaky, squealing brakes when you drive or first step on the brake pedal. This is the wear sensor we mentioned earlier, alerting you it is time to replace the brakes.
- You hear a grinding metal-on-metal sound when you step on the brakes. This means the pads are completely gone and the rotors and/or drums are being damaged.
If you notice any of the above brake problems, please feel free to stop by your nearest Tire Pirates location in Calgary today or call us at (403) 907-0394 or 1-403-640-0500!