Oil Change Services in Calgary, AB
Understanding when and how often you should change the oil in your vehicle is important to preserving its life and your safety. At Tire Pirates, we have years of experience working on a wide range of vehicle makes and models. Our state-of-the-art service bays allow us to work quickly and efficiently to get you the best service possible. But there will always be questions. We’ll cover some of the most frequently asked questions here.
When should I change my oil?
Every vehicle is different when it comes to the frequency of your oil changes. The biggest tell will be consulting your owner’s manual. The following are aspects to consider when it is time to change your oil:
- Vehicle type and make
- Engine type
- Your car’s computer tells you
- Your mechanic will leave a sticker for the suggested oil change time
- Age of your vehicle
- How frequently and what type of driving you do
How do I check the oil level of my car?
It’s a good idea to know how to conduct minimal, routine maintenance and checks on your vehicle. Checking your oil level is one of the easiest to learn! Some older vehicles may leak oil between routine oil changes, requiring you to top off. Additionally, modern cars have built-in monitors and computers that can tell you when your oil levels are off or when you need to come in for an oil change and maintenance. To check the oil level of your car, follow these easy steps:
- Park the car on level ground and turn off the engine.
- Open the hood and locate your vehicle’s dipstick – it will be a plastic ring, usually yellow. Sometimes it will say “engine oil” on it.
- Pull the dipstick all the way out and wipe off any oil from its end.
- Insert the dipstick back into the tub fully.
- Pull it back out and quickly look at both sides of the stick to see where the oil level is. Your stick will have indications of where the proper oil level should be. Sometimes it will be a bar, pinholes, letters, or the words MIN and MAX.
- If your oil level is in between these markings, your oil level is fine.
- If the oil is below the minimum mark, do not drive the vehicle again until you have added oil.
- Note the colour of the oil. The oil should be dark brown or black. If it has a milky appearance, it could mean that your engine’s coolant is leaking into the oil.
- Check for any metal particles in your oil, which is caused by additional internal engine damage.
- If everything is looking good, wipe the dipstick off and insert it back into its place securely and close your hood.
How do I know what oil I should use in my car?
The easiest way to determine the right type of oil for your vehicle is by consulting your owner’s manual. Additionally, your mechanic at Tire Pirates will be able to find the right oil for your vehicle. Some vehicles may be able to handle different types of oil depending on your climate and how you drive your vehicle. Online enthusiast groups may be a great resource for your particular model vehicle for more information.
Do I need synthetic oil?
Only specific vehicles require synthetic oil. It will usually tell you on your oil cap or your car’s manual. Synthetic oil is engineered to be more effective at preserving engines and resisting breakdowns. It also is more resistant to higher temperatures. If you have a sportier car or a turbocharger, you will most likely require full synthetic oil to stand up to its harder-working engine.
Contact Us Today
From world-class tire service to full-scale engine repair and everything in between, Tire Pirates is your one-stop-shop for auto repair in Calgary. Visit one of our two locations and discover the difference that professionalism and attention to detail make when it comes to car repair. Contact our Foothills location at (403) 279-5559 or our Chinook location at (403) 640-0500 and speak to a qualified service advisor today.
What Sets Us Apart?
- Top of the Line Tires
- 25 Years in Business
- Highly-Trained Technicians
- We’ll Install, Inspect and Repair Tires
- Customer Service is Our Top Priority