Five Signs You Need New Brakes
The brake pads make up just one of several different components of the entire braking system, which also includes:
- Brake Lines
- Brake Fluid
- ABS (Antilock Braking System) Sensors
Over time, these parts and components do wear out and will need to replaced, repaired, or serviced. Most modern vehicles have several early detection options to let you know when you should replace your brake pads .
- High-Pitched Whining Sound – Most brake pads have wear sensors on them, and this whining or screeching sound starts to be heard when the pad has reached the point it needs to be replaced.
- Soft, Squishy Brakes – If you notice you are having to press harder on the brake pedal, and it goes almost to the floor, something is wrong with the braking system and it needs to be serviced.
- Metal-on-Metal Grinding – If you ignored the sound the brake pad sensor was making, eventually all the pad is worn off the brake and now you will hear metal-on-metal grinding as you stop. At this point, you are causing damage to the rotors, too.
- Vibrating Brake Pedal – If the brake pedal vibrates and the ABS is not active, there is a problem with the braking system.
- Pulling – If the vehicle pulls to the left or right when you stop, this could indicate the rotor and brake pads are not contacting evenly and the brakes should be inspected.
If you notice any of the above symptoms, it is best to bring your vehicle into Tire Pirates for a brake inspection. Feel free to stop by one of our Calgary locations in the Foothills and Chinook areas or call us at (403) 907-0394 or (403) 907-0431 today!